Do you remember any story someone told you? Must be yes!! Because stories are what stick in our mind and memory. And when the story relates to us, this is something that never gets out of memory. Today, we are going to see how can we be a better storyteller and how storytelling can be great addition to your content. However, before starting the storytelling guide, it is important to know, why do you even need to create content. Do it really matter?
Why Content is King?
You must have liked some pages on Facebook, bookmarked some website or followed people on Instagram. You followed them because they help to solve your problem, they educate you or share value in any way. And, same does our customers. So, sharing valuable content helps to increase brand followers. Moreover, Content Marketing is important because content helps building trust, generating leads, and cultivating customer loyalty.
It’s simple logic business people don’t understand. People trust those who share valuable information.
Now, you are all clear why you should create contents for your business. But why storytelling? Why not simple post or video in Social Media and promote.
Related: Social Media Marketing in Nepal
As mentioned above, stories are what sticks in our mind and memory. Why we create content? To get virality or solve problem of maximum people right? Whenever, we use Think of Yourself and add some story that resonates with you – it means we know your problem and we have your solution. And whenever something is compared to ourselves when very hardly forget those things.
Storytelling is the process of using fact and narrative to communicate something to your audience. Some stories are factual, and some are embellished or improvised in order to better explain the core message.
Every storytelling starts with your content aim. Why are you creating this content? Either to get some sales, or educate your product or solve some problems of people. You must be clear with your goal. There is a buying cycle of people. You may need to initially AWARE people about your services, get them INTERESTED in your product and them help them DECIDE which is best company for that problem to be solved. And finally influence them to take some ACTION. We call this AIDA framework.
Then, you need to set your audience. To whom are you creating this content? Segment your targeted audience on the basis of content and their age, gender, location or interests. It is very important to know what our targeted audience thinks about. The problems they are facing, the way they see the world are some major things you need to keep in mind before writing any stories.
Now its time to make your content ready.
While Creating Content or Storytelling
Before creating any content keep in mind. Always start with why? What problem are you solving comes last. First comes why? Then how and only what.
Storytelling has Characters(your buying persona), Conflict( Problems/ Emotion of Buying persona ) and Resolution ( Some Call to Action ). A character, their problem and how are we solving it.
Keep in mind. Your content must Attract – Engage and Delight your targeted audience.
Just watch this video.
We are planning to help small businesses to grow. The problem people are facing is competition and lack of knowledge in Marketing. This is what our targeted audience are facing and hence we first matched their worldview. Showed how can we help them. And finally what we do.
Process of Storytelling
Storytelling is effective when you follow certain processes. Following certain guidelines and standards make your stories better.
- Know Your Audience: We have already mentioned, you must be clear to whom you are going to show this content. Cracking jokes to child won’t work but when you change your facial expression child laughs.
- Define Core Message: What message are you trying to share with this Story? Is your story selling a product? Explaining a service? What is the point of your story? You must have a core message – the reason why people should look this content.
- Type of Story: Not all stories have same motive. What type of story are you creating. Is it to incite some action? Tell people about yourself? or educate people about something.
- Call to Action: Your objective and call-to-action (CTA) are similar, but your CTA will establish the action you’d like your audience to take after watching your stories.
- Story Medium: There are many mediums to create content. It can be either Photo, Video, Gift or Blog. It also can be audio contents like podcast.
- Share: Okay, you created amazing content via Storytelling. But, what will be it’s use if no one sees it. You should do Marketing or promote your content. You can do Facebook Boost or Instagram promotion for your content. Also, do Search Engine Optimization of your content to rank higher when people search similar content.
To Sum Up
Storytelling is one of the best way of creating content. Storytelling helps to make content memorable and resonate with targeted audience. Your content should have some core message. It should attract-engage-delight customer. Start with what I am solving and how. And, every storytelling should have some characters, their problems and how are we solving it.